1. If you have a certain idea for a design you can control many things such as the angle, perspective, and lighting in order for it to match your vision. You have the power to get the picture exactly how you need it for your design.
2. You won’t have to spend hours and hours searching for the perfect photograph and run the risk of not finding it.
3. You won’t have to throw out a good idea because you can’t find the right picture that you need for that idea to work.
4. Sometimes even on free stock photography web sites the best pictures will cost you money, with some basic photography skills you can take your own pictures and you won’t have to purchase stock photos as often or maybe not at all.
5. Millions of people use stock photography websites, I have come across several designs with over used images I had seen before on different projects. With your own photos your art work will be unique.
6. No one likes to read long user agreements, and even if you do the chance that you will overlook something important is quite high (for example, using a photo that can only be used on personal projects on a commercial project instead) if you break the agreement you can be sued by the owner. If your using your own photos you won’t have to worry about copyright infringement and you won’t have to store stock photos as a proof of purchase.
7. If your looking to make some extra cash, you can start selling your photos and textures on stock photography sites such as sxc.
8. You will be developing a new skill and if you become good enough at it you can start offering services in photography, this may give you an advantage over competing designers and help you to win over a new client.